Here I sit in my recliner with a ice pack on my right knee.  In this week I have only been able to run 3 miles and that was probably not my best idea and may have made things worse.  It was about a week ago that my right knee started swelling up and became painful.  Had I not had this happen before on many occasions I might have been concerned that I injured myself, but I know better.  

I have a condition called Pseudogout, this is a condition associated with a buildup of calcium pyrophosphate causing joint inflammation.  When I have an episode in a lot of ways all you can do is let it run its course.  The only treatments are NSAIDS like ibuprofen, ice, and rest. 



 The symptoms are: 
  I know its nothing to worry about but I really miss running and especially that high after a good run.  
  • Sudden, intense joint pain
  • Swollen joint that's warm to touch
  • Red or purple skin around the joint
  • Severe tenderness around the joint (Even the slightest touch or pressure might bring extreme pain.)



In addition to wanting to run in general I have a 5 mile race on New Years Day and felt I had a good chance for being able to PR.  Now I just hope I am able to run the race.  I know people watch races all the time but I think I would simply go crazy.  

 About three years ago I walked a 5k race and vowed that I would run races from that point on.  Since then this running thing has gone from a good idea, to habit, to an obsession.  I know I will never be the fastest and thats fine.  I just want to be out there on the road and part of the best community in the world.  The runners I have met are simply incredible people and are what pushes me to run.  If only to continue to be able to say I still belong, that would be more than enough.  


My runs this week were: 

- Wednesday Ran Home 3 mile Loop  2.99 mi / 00:35 11:37 pace

Felt good to get in a run. Right knee was still sore but loosened up as I ran

Podcast listened to were:

Phedippidations Fdip218: The 2009 Phedippidations Holiday PodCast Variety Show Special

Everything Always Looks Better After a Run
FishaDad

Leave a Reply: