This was kind of a crazy week for me. I had to finish up the FSCEMS Academy which meant ad mistering the final exam written test and practical exam as well as prepare for the graduation ceremony.

All the members passed and we were putting the finishing touches on the graduation as running our final practices.  My last instructions were for everyone to be at the auditorium no later than 5pm.  I went home on the day of graduation at 8am and tried to get a few hours sleep.  My phone kept ringing with calls and texts.  I finally got up at about 2 pm and headed out with my wife and son to the graduation.  As I am driving there I checked my messages and there is a message from Jeff saying that he has bad feeing something is going to go wrong which he described as "a impending feeling of doom"  and that something bad was going to happen.  I sent him a text and told him not to worry. When we were about 10 min away from the college I received a text from Jeff simply saying "I was right".  I texted back "What do you mean?"  He called and explained that while one of the parents of the graduates was crossing the street she was struck in a crosswalk and was badly injured.  Needless to say this was upsetting to all of use but we still had the ceremony and although he was at the hospital with hios mother and was missed it went really well.


This is me:

After Graduation I was able to finally rest and take a break. As I changed out of my uniform I recalled that I had said I was going to call a person about adopting a dog, Cosmo.   I dialed my phone and apologized for calling at 8pm.  I set up an appointment for my family our meet Cosmo on Saturday evening.




                                                                                
                                                                                          

Saturday could not come quickly enough. In the morning my right knee was very sore which put me in a bad mood since it caused me to miss my long run.  After the stress of the academy and graduation and excitement of getting Cosmo I really needed a run.  The minutes clicked by and finally it was time.  I went to head out an remembered Paige was driving. You see she has her permit and under the advice of her driving instructor she is to drive always.  So away we went.  Honestly she is getting much better and driving with her is not a much of a stressful time.  We got to the house and met the owner, a young couple and very nice people.  Cosmo waited in the bedroom and was hesitant to come out.  It took about 1/2 hour for him to finally come out and sniff me.  Once he did he would lick our faces.  He is clearly a timid dog.  Other than that he seems great and we believe would make a great addition to our family. They agreed to let us adopt and we made arraignments for Cosmo to be dropped off Monday night.  My biggest fear is that Cosmo will not get along with our cat Frisco.  We will just have to see how it goes and give it some time.


My runs this week were: 


Tuesday Ran 3 miles in 30:09 @ 10:03 min/miles pace, weather was cloudy, temperature around 35 degree. Tried to run my first fartlek to start working on my speed or lack their of was able to shave over 2 minutes off my 3 mile time which is good for first try. 


- Thursday Ran 5 miles in 53:26 @ 10:41 min/miles pace, weather was mostly cloudy / windy, temperature around 15 degrees. Thanks to the running pants my wonderful wife bought I was pretty warm. When I finished I had snow frozen on my hood.


- Saturday no run due to knee pain

Podcast listened to were:
Phedippidations Fdip217: Running Legend: Browning Ross
Running to Disney- Ep. 40: Rocket City Marathon


Everything Always Looks Better After a Run
FishaDad



One Response to “Meeting Cosmo”

  1. Listened to both of those podcasts this week too. Disney runner was great inspiration.

    Great runs, and good job starting on fartleks. Those are on my todo list for next year, after a new pair of shoes.

    Take it easy this week, and you'll be flirting with a 5m PR in the freeze on Jan 1!

Leave a Reply: